Unfortunately, its just a fact of life that, as we get older, things start to go wrong with our bodies and there’s no exception when it comes to our mobility. Most of us love to be active and to get around under our own steam – it gives a sense of freedom and independence so decreasing mobility can also have a serious impact on both lifestyle and mental health.
Of course, there are many reasons why we get less mobile as we age – these range from osteoporosis or arthritis to cognitive disorders or heart and lung problems. In many cases, the simple act of walking to the local store or cafe can seem like an insurmountable problem.
Luckily, however, technology can come to the rescue these days , especially in the form of the new breed of super efficient, cheap and reliable mobility scooters that are on the market. These range from the basic ‘four wheels, a battery and a seat’ variety through to fully loaded machines that would be the envy of most high-end automobile owners. But, they all have one thing in common – they all bring a renewed quality of life and independence.
So, the big question is – which one should I buy? Well, we have done the hard work and brought together the best mobility scooters for 2021 – and they are all available to buy, online and at significant discounts.
No matter what you budget is, we have tried to find a model that will fit your needs. So lets get started with a quick rundown of what a mobility scooter is and why you need one before looking at the best models currently on the market.
Note: As with any medical device or condition, it’s vital that you seek your physicians advice. Although they are very easy to use mobility scooters are still motorized vehicles, and they may not be suitable for everyone – so please check.
What Is A Mobility Scooter?
Unlike a wheelchair, a mobility scooter is actually a small electric vehicle. They are primarily used by people who have lost the full use of their legs but are also suitable for helping people who suffer from reduced mobility due to other medical conditions such as heart and lung problems
The tend to have 3 or four wheels and are almost always powered by a powerful battery which means they can also be used indoors in places such as malls although, they are bulkier than wheelchairs and so may not always have access.
You can also get non-motorized versions but these are far less common.
How Does A Mobility Scooter Work?
Generally speaking, mobility scooters are very simple to operate. Steering is normally done via a console called the tiller, which has forward/reverse and speed controls (these are often push button operated) . Just like your automobile, the tiller can also feature controls for indicators, light and even speed limiters if fitted. There is also battery indicator which helps you keep a check on the range and, on some models, a speedo – and yes, some mobility scooters can go quite fast!
Most modern scooters are now battery powered so you just have to charge them at home or when you are out and about
Again, like automobiles, mobility scooters feature several types of drive – front-wheel drive (FD), rear-wheel drive (RD) and, even all-wheel drive (AWD). That’s basically the same as a high end SUV or off-road vehicle – very cool!
Front-wheel drive scooters are usually smaller and lighter and are best for indoor or short distance use. These kinds of scooters can normally handle anything up to around 1000 pounds of weight but the heavier rear-wheel drive machines are a bit more limited in what they can carry.
In most cases a rear wheel drive or all wheel drive machine will be fine with up to 350 pounds (160 kg) of weight but some heavy duty rear-drive models can carry as much as 500 pounds.
So, as you can see, it’s important to take into consideration how heavy the rider will be and whether they will be carrying, for example, shopping with them before deciding on which mobility scooter to buy.
Mobility scooters come in various forms:
- user-powered, small, light manual scooters for travel. These don’t have a bulky (and heavy) battery and are powered by the user – normally using a push-pull central lever drive, rather like an upright rowing machine
- small, light scooters which are designed for travel. These can fold or even be easily disassembled into smaller parts so they can be taken in an automobile or van;
- large, heavy scooters with all wheel drive – these can actually handle off-road driving;
- mid-range scooters which are great for most tasks both indoor and outdoor.
Mid-range mobility scooters typically have a speed of around 5 to 7 mph (8 to 11 km/h) but high powered ones can reach 30mph or more!
Why Do you Need One?
How Far Can You Go On A Mobility Scooter?
The short answer is, it depends. There are a number of factors that will determine how far you can go on a single charge but, the manufacturer will usually include a guide that tells you how far, how fast and for how long your particular mobility scooter can go. Normally, this will vary depending on the size and weight of the mobility scooter you select.
You should also bear in mind that the actual range will also be affected by your own weight, the number of hills you drive up, whether you carry heavy shopping or loads, the age of the batteries, and a number of other factors. So, to make sure you don’t ever find yourself without power while out and about, make sure you check your levels before you start off.
How Long Do Mobility Scooter Batteries Last
Top 5 Picks
Best All Rounder
Travel Pro Premium 3 Wheel Mobility Scooter
The Travel Pro Premium 3 Wheel Mobility Scooter by Pride offers great maneuverability with a small turning radius and easy to move front tiller system. The motor provides smooth, consistent power for a comfortable ride and with pneumatic tires it can handle most environments. The control column features easy to use forward and reverse controls which were clear and large enough for anyone to use safely, even if you have impaired motor skills or sight. You’re not going to enter the Daytona 500 with this though. With a top speed of 4mph its not the quickest model we have reviewed but if safety, comfort and value are what you are after then this is a great model to buy.
The seat is comfortable and wraps around your body providing extra support. We also really liked the small cup holder which is a nice touch and great if you take your scooter to the ball game – you can enjoy drinks without the hassle of a tray.
It is very easy to disassemble which makes it idea for putting into an automobile if you dont have the luxury of a mini-van with a ramp so you can take it with you wherever you go.
Amazon reviews are very favorable with an average of 4-5 starts and it comes in at a very competitive price so, really, this model has to be our best all-round motability scooter.
Get It At A Great Price On Amazon
- MANEUVERABILITY - With the easy to use Travel Pro Premium 3-Wheel Mobility Scooter by Pride, the three wheel styling provides maneuverability in tight spaces with a sharp turning radius and smooth drive. This mobility scooter offers the benefits of a high range travel mobility scooter such as a top speed of 4mph with a 6.3 mile drive range, flat free tires, forward/reverse controls, and a weight capacity of a whopping 275 lbs.
- TRANSPORTABLE - Designed to be easy to transport, this travel scooter can be quickly disassembled into 5 lightweight pieces that easily fit in the trunk of an average sized sedan. The heaviest piece is only 27.5 lbs, light enough for most users to be able to easily carry independently.
- COMFORT - Ride in comfort and style; this travel scooter features an attractive fully-padded faux-leather seat that offers an adjustable height to suit users of nearly all heights, as well as padded armrests that flip up for convenient boarding and exiting of the scooter and a convenient front basket for stowing away personal items.
- USES - Whether you or your loved one needs help getting around the house and shopping or desires the freedom to travel and keep up with the family, this travel scooter can easily maneuver around hallways and doorframes and is compact enough for use during travel.
- SPECS - Includes a free cup holder and saddlebag ($55 value) shipped separately. Overall Width: 22.3" x Overall Length: 37" x Seat Width: 17" x Max Seat to Deck Height: 17.25"
- Top speed of 4 mph
- Drive range of 6.3 miles
- Weight capacity: 275 lbs
Best Heavy Duty Mobility Scooter
Golden Technologies’ Buzzaround EX Extreme 4-Wheel Heavy Duty Long Range Travel Scooter is very well built and offers great preformance and reliability ast a reasonable price – what more could you ask for.
This model features an over-sized deck which makes it easy to position your feet and legs for maximum comfort and because there’s more space between the steering column and seat its one of the easiest scooters to get on and off that we tested so it’s idea for people with limited mobility.
We particularity like the layout of the central column, the controls are all clearly labelled and easy to reach so driving it is very easy and, even ,pleasurable. It features a super-bright LED headlight so, if you need to go out at night, this scooter keeps you safe by allowing you to see and be seen.
The padded seat if very comfortable and has some dampened suspension to make the ride smooth no matter what the terrain. The smooth ride is aided by the large wheels and chunky tires and, really, in our trials, we didn’t have any problems with rough roads or small potholes. It’s a very comfortable scooter to drive.
This scooter is not the easiest to dismantle and move around and, given its relatively bulky size you will need a medium sized trunk or small hatchback at least if you want to take it with you. Ideally, its better suited for station wagons or mini vans but if you are looking for a more rugged scooter thats built to take a bit of punishment without breaking the bank the the Buzzaround EX Extreme 4-Wheel Heavy Duty Long Range Travel Scooter is an excellent choice.
Get It At A Great Price On Amazon
- Added Comfort: The Extreme features Comfort Spring Suspension for a smoother riding experience.
- Long Distance: The U1 batteries offer an operating range of up to 18 miles per full charge. Best in its class.
- Disassembles: In just 4 easy steps the Extreme disassembles, making transporting it from one destination to another a breeze.
- Explore More: With a 4" ground clearance and 9" tires, the Extreme is built to get outside.
- Full Size and Portable: The Extreme features a weight capacity of up to 350 lbs., and can easily be disassembled for travel.
- Maximum drive range: 18 miles
- Top speed: 5 mph
- Weight capacity: 300 lbs
Last update on 2021-07-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API